We were pretty much instantly in love with Carrie's engagement sesh attire featured yesterday. Red sequins and flannel = rustic/glam perfection! Hoping she wouldn't find it a bit stalkerish, we created a few fun party props inspired by her outfit... just in time for Valentine's Day.
We're calling this a 'How To', but really... both of these mini-projects are so easy. Just grab a few pieces of fabric - maybe even an old flannel shirt you or your man aren't using anymore, or one from a thrift shop? - and some sequin trim. If you can find red sequin fabric, we think that would look amazing! You'll also need: a sewing machine (or thread & needle to do it by hand), pillow stuffing, a glue gun, a long dowel for the photo prop, and some short lollipop sticks for the flags.
For the heart prop, simply:
- Cut two pieces of fabric into a heart shape - ours are about 9" across. As you can see, perfection not required.
- Place them together with the 'wrong' sides facing out and sew around the edge, leaving a small open space at the bottom.
- Turn it inside out, and stuff.
- Insert the dowel into the bottom, and close up the heart around it with your glue gun.
- If, like us, you can't find red sequin fabric: Make a little bow tie out of sequin trim, tie it around the dowel at the bottom of the heart, and secure with glue.
To make the flags, just cut long rectangles of fabric and trim, wrap around the sticks and glue to secure. Cut the triangle shapes from the end of the flags - cuteness complete!
As shown by my (amazingly patient husband) model, the puffy heart-on-a-stick makes an adorable photo booth prop...
...and I just love the look of the mismatched, yet coordinated, cupcake toppers. These would be such a fun and delicious surprise for your Valentine tonight! I highly recommend whipping up a batch of Ina's coconut cupcakes - they are out of this world.
YUM! Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!