Being invited to your friend or family member’s wedding is a pretty big event and something that you can definitely look forward to, as it will be a special and significant moment. However, before the wedding, comes the bachelorette party (or the bachelor party on the side of the groom).
The bachelorette party is one of the most fun parts of a wedding, which usually takes place a few days before the wedding ceremony.
The purpose of a bachelorette party? For the bride-to-be to celebrate with her close friends and family, saying goodbye to single life and getting hyped up for marriage. It’s usually a very high-energy party, with plenty to do, and plenty of laughter.
Although bachelorette parties can be done in all sorts of ways, and if you’d rather have a relaxing spa day over a night out then that’s totally okay! (Although why not both?)
However, as a part of the whole wedding world, bachelorette parties also have their own traditional rules. For example, the maid of honor will usually be responsible for organizing the bachelorette party and making sure it’s a fun time for the bride-to-be.
But what about gifts? Do you bring gifts for the bride to a bachelorette party? What is the right etiquette in this scenario?
Don’t worry, we’ll give you the answer and go through what is necessary, what is expected, and what you should do. Let’s get started!
Is it necessary to bring a gift to a bachelorette party?
First of all, let’s clarify whether it is actually necessary or not to bring a gift to a bachelorette party. As a general rule, it is not an official requirement of the attendees to have to bring a gift for the bride.
There are no hard rules on having to bring a gift to the event, in the way that there are for bringing a gift to the actual wedding ceremony.
The bachelorette is usually a much more light-hearted and casual event, all about having fun and letting loose before the wedding day, so there is no need to present a formal gift to the bride.
However, it is traditional to bring a gift for the bride during her bachelorette party. Nothing too expensive, but something that shows that you care and that you know her well.
So although you don’t have to bring a gift, it is customary to do so and most people will. So if you’re the only one to not bring a gift you might feel awkward or guilty!
At the end of the day, if you really don’t know whether you have to bring a gift or not, you should simply ask the bride or the maid of honor. Ask about whether a gift is expected or not so that you can be sure of what to do. There’s nothing wrong with asking, especially as the bride is usually either a family member or a close friend!
Should you bring a gift to the bachelorette party?
So, you don’t have to bring a gift to a bachelorette party, but it is traditional and customary to do so, with most people bringing a gift. Does that mean that you should definitely bring a gift?
It completely depends. These are a few factors to consider when deciding:
- What has the bride or maid of honor said about gifts? Is bringing one expected?
- Check the itinerary or schedule for the bachelorette party. Is there a designated time for opening gifts? In that case, you should definitely bring a gift!
- What kind of party is it? Are you going to meet up at someone’s house first? Are you going straight out? If you’re meeting up at a public place and going straight into celebrating, bringing a gift might be awkward, because where will the bride leave it?
- What is everybody else doing? You don’t want to be the only one to not bring a gift, but also not the only one to bring a gift. So check in with other friends or family members going to the bachelorette party, and join the majority!
What type of gift should you bring to a bachelorette party?
If you do end up bringing a gift for the bride-to-be to the bachelorette party, you might be wondering if there is any etiquette on the type of gift that should be brought and if there are any unwritten rules concerning this. Turns out, there are!
Here are some DOs and DONTs for the bachelorette gift:
- Get the bride-to-be something personal and meaningful that shows you know her well. It could even be something like an album of photos from the entire group of friends!
- Get the bride-to-be a joke gift. The bachelorette is light-hearted and fun, you can turn your gift into a joke to get the bride laughing, and kick off the party.
- Get the bride a useful gift, such as beauty products or beauty or cosmetic voucher or gift card, which she will be able to use before her big wedding day to look her best.
- Get the bride-to-be a gift voucher or upgrade for something within the bachelorette party. If you don’t bring a physical gift, maybe buy her an extra drink during the party!
- Get the bride-to-be a gift from the wedding registry. The wedding registry is for gifts meant for the couple, while the bachelorette is for gifts specifically for the bride.
- Spend a lot of money. Formal gifts are reserved for the actual wedding day. The bachelorette gift should be something simple and small, with a bigger focus on the party and having fun.
In conclusion, it is traditional and customary to bring a gift to the bachelorette party, but it isn’t a requirement and it is always best to check beforehand so you know what is expected. If you do bring a gift, make sure it is something specifically for the bride-to-be, something simple and personal, or something funny to start the party off.