A wedding invitation sets the tone for your big day, and you want to make sure that they are as neat as possible.
When writing your wedding invitations, it’s important to find the right pen. If you don’t, you could end up with messy, smudged handwriting and inky finger marks that ruin the whole invitation. After all, you’ve spent too much time and money on your invites to ruin them with messy handwriting!
In this article, I will cover the best calligraphy pens for wedding invitations. So, when it comes to sending your invitations out, you have the right pen for the job.
Keep reading to find out more.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Sakura Pigma 30067 Micron Blister Card Ink Pen Set is designed to deliver precision.
The pigma ink colors are derived from single pigment colors for color consistency and are waterproof, chemical and fade resistant, bleed free, quick drying and pH neutral.
These calligraphy pens allow you to experience smooth, skip-free writing in crisp, rich black ink that achieves consistent lines.
- Certified non-toxic - These calligraphy pens are approved by ACMI toxicologists and bears trusted AP Seal.
- Precise points and lines - These pens have precise points that withstand the test of time
- Bleedproof - When using these pens, you won’t have to worry about smears or feathers on the majority of types of paper.
- A couple of customers noted that these calligraphy pens dried out quicker than they were anticipating.
The Ohuhu Set of 8 Sizes Hand Lettering and Calligraphy pens are designed to work on a wide variety of paper!
These pens are super versatile, and are great for a variety of uses for amateurs and professionals alike!
These Ohuhu pens dispense ink consistently, allowing you to write smoothly and create similar results every time!
- Premium & safe ink - These pens have non-toxic, acid-free and odorless pigment.
- Non-toxic - These pens are non-toxic, acid-free and odorless so you can use them with ease of mind!
- Unique tip codes - Each calligraphy pen has a unique tip code on its cap and barrel to prevent you from mixing the caps up so you'll never need to guess before or after use!
- One customer noted that the ink of these calligraphy pens weren’t as black as they were hoping.
The Tombow 62038 Fudenosuke Brush Pen 2-Pack contains both the soft and hard tip for maximum versatility.
The unique tip on the Fudenosuke pen allows you to control your strokes with precision to achieve your desired lettering or calligraphy style.
Tombow has years of experience to trust in! For over 100 years, they have produced only the highest quality fine art products, engineered to help artists create their very best work.
- Versatile - These pens are perfect for a variety of different uses, including calligraphy, drawings, and lettering.
- Flexible brushes - These brushes allow you to create extra fine, fine or medium strokes through a simple change in brush pressure.
- Soft and hard nibs - While the soft tip is great for bold captions, the hard tip is perfect for finer writing.
- One customer noted that these calligraphy pens weren’t suitable for beginners to learn with.
The PILOT Parallel 4 Nib Calligraphy Pen Set allows for easy color blending!
These pens feature a nib that consists of two parallel plates, allowing the writer to produce lines sharper than existing calligraphy pens.
This set comes with everything that you need to get started as a beginner!
- Versatile - Whether you're bullet journaling, doing calligraphy, or lettering, these pens are great for a variety of creative uses.
- Refillable - These pens are refillable, meaning that they’re better for the environment as they don’t end up going to landfill.
- Many ink colors - There are a wide variety of ink colors available for these pens and they come in 4 nib widths: 1.5 mm, 2.4 mm, .38 mm, 6.0 mm.
- One customer noted that these calligraphy pens don't have the flow control that they’d expect from other calligraphy fountain pens.
The Tebik 16 Pack Calligraphy Pens are perfect for beginners just starting out in calligraphy!
The micro-tip, chisel and brush tips are perfect for a variety of different uses, including writing, drawing, illustration journal, calendars and planners, blog designs, textile decor, scrapbooking and art drawings.
These calligraphy pens are smear resistant, fade resistant, waterproof and non bleeding.
- Organized - Each pen comes with the code on the pen and cap so that it is easy to keep your pens organized and so you know which pen you’re choosing every time!
- Richly pigmented ink - The color pay off of these calligraphy pens are great thanks to the richly pigmented ink.
- Versatile - Whether you’ve been doing calligraphy for years, or are just starting for your wedding invitations, these pens are perfect for professionals as well as amateurs.
- One customer complained that these particular calligraphy pens need more ink as they had a tendency to run out sooner than they had expected.
The sunacme Calligraphy Pens are super versatile and come with a variety of different tips for different styles.
These pens are perfect for writing invitations, wall art, calendars and planners, blog designs, textile decor, scrapbooking projects and so many more!
All these calligraphy pens are made with high quality black ink that delivers great pigment!
- Hard and soft tips - These calligraphy pens feature both soft and hard tips for multi lettering and drawing techniques, creating extra-fine, fine or medium strokes by a change in brush pressure.
- Safe - These calligraphy pens are incredibly safe to use as they are non-toxic, acid-free, non-bleeding, and odorless so you don’t have to worry about using them for long periods of time.
- Waterproof - These calligraphy pens are waterproof, so you can use them to your heart’s desire with water color and they won't run and ruin your painting.
- One customer noted that without any prior experience, beginners would struggle to use these particular calligraphy pens.
The PANDAFLY Hand Lettering Calligraphy Brush Pens are designed for precise and beautiful results every time.
PANDAFLY calligraphy pens use non-toxic, acid free, odorless and water-based, pigmented black ink.
These pens allow you to effortlessly create designs and calligraphy with easy to control strokes.
- Versatile - These pens are great for calligraphy practice and art drawings, creative illustration, and hand lettering for beginners.
- Smear proof - Gone are the days of smudged writing! Enjoy all that these calligraphy pens have to offer without the fear of smudging your hard work.
- Risk free purchase - A replacement or full refund is available for any faulty calligraphy pens.
- One customer noted that these calligraphy pens had very narrow tips.
The Trustela Calligraphy Kit for beginners is the ideal option for wedding invitations.
This calligraphy kit has two different calligraphy pens. Wooden pen kit has dip pens that are a straight nib black wooden calligraphy pen and a black wooden calligraphy oblique pen.
This calligraphy kit has calligraphy pen nibs that hold a lot of ink to ensure a smooth writing experience.
- High quality - These pens are high quality, meaning that they won’t detract from your classy invitations.
- Beginner and advanced - Whether you’ve been learning calligraphy for a long time, or are just learning for your wedding invitations, these calligraphy pens are great for beginners and those that are more advanced.
- Perfect gift - These calligraphy pens make the perfect gift for any budding artist.
- One customer noted that these calligraphy pens took longer than they were anticipating to arrive in the mail.
The Morfone 10 Size Hand Lettering Pens Calligraphy Brush Pens are safe for both kids and adults!
Made of pigmented black ink that is non-toxic, acid-free, odorless, water-resistant, fade proof and bleed-proof, these calligraphy pens are great to get the whole family involved in something creative!
These calligraphy markers are perfect for line art, card envelopes, invitations, signature, planner, dairy, scrapbook, take your art project to next level
- Beginner and kid friendly - If you’ve got a child that is curious in calligraphy or art, these calligraphy pens are the perfect starting point.
- Great value for money - This set is great value, and is ideal for practicing calligraphy.
- Several sizes - These pens come in several sizes, so you can experiment with different styles of lettering until you find what you’re most comfortable with.
- One customer claimed that the ink of these calligraphy pens was drier than they were expecting.
The Craft ‘n’ Beyond Calligraphy Brush Pens are very easy to use, making them perfect to use for your wedding invitations!
These calligraphy marker’s premium pressure sensitive tips allow you to achieve full control of your strokes to create the perfect piece of art.
The cartridges containing fade-proof and smear-proof ink gives you exemplary control of your drawing without worrying about dipping your brush into a pool of ink every few moments.
- Consistent - These calligraphy pens deliver smooth, consistent results that will make your wedding invitations stand out!
- Easy to use - Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, these calligraphy pens are super easy to use.
- Multi-purpose - These calligraphy pens are fantastic for a variety of uses, including writing, journaling, and art!
- One customer noted that the nibs weren’t slanted on these particular calligraphy pens.
Best Calligraphy Pens For Wedding Invitations Buying Guide
There are a few things to consider when purchasing calligraphy pens for your wedding invitations, but it primarily comes down to the ink color and whether they are bleedproof and durable.
You will want to make sure that you are buying good quality calligraphy pens that aren’t going to bleed and ruin your beautiful wedding invitations. After all, they provide your guests with the first glimpse into your special day.
Check out the factors below before going ahead with your purchase.
When purchasing calligraphy pens for your wedding invitations, you will need to think about the color of the ink.
You will want to ensure that you pick the right color to match your invitations perfectly. While black is the most traditional and classic when it comes to writing invitations, there are a variety of calligraphy pens and ink colors out there should you decide to throw tradition out the window!
For instance if you have a blush pink invitation, black might look quite harsh. You could instead opt for a softer, more pastel color that is still easy to read against the pink invitation. The options are endless when it comes to ink color!
When choosing calligraphy pens for something as important as your wedding invitations, another factor you will want to consider is whether your pens are bleedproof.
Depending on who makes your wedding invitations, or whether you’ve made them yourself, a lot of time, effort, and money goes into preparing them. They are what sets the tone for the wedding, and you don’t want ink to bleed through them and cause a smudgy mess when your guest first opens them.
Always look for calligraphy pens that are known for being reliable and bleedproof. In addition to this, make sure that you practise with them several times beforehand before committing to writing out your invitations!
It’s important to invest in calligraphy pens that are safe to use and aren’t full of any harmful chemicals.
This is especially important if you’ve got children around that are likely to be interested in the calligraphy pens and want to get involved when you’re practicing writing your invitations.
If the calligraphy pens are non-toxic, you and your family can use them as much as you like without the worry of the ink getting on your skin.
When buying calligraphy pens, you will want to make sure that you are opting for a durable product. While you might think that gauging whether a product is durable comes down to trial and error, there are other ways of checking.
Namely, you will want to check the product reviews section. This section allows customers to give feedback, good or bad on a product which will provide you with a better idea of whether it’s worth your hard earned money and whether you would like to invest in it.
The product reviews section also reveals a lot about a company’s customer service. For instance, if a customer experiences an issue with a product, you will be able to tell a lot from the way in which a company works to resolve their issue.
If there is no sense of urgency, or a company fails to rectify the issue to a high enough standard, it’s likely that the customer reviews will tell you so!
Always make sure that you do your research and thoroughly check the product reviews section before going ahead with your purchase.
Another factor to consider when purchasing calligraphy pens for your wedding invitations is value. Depending on how many guests you have at your wedding, it is likely that you are going to go through a fair bit of ink cartridges .
That being said, make sure that the calligraphy pens that you opt for are good value for money without compromising on quality.
Can you do calligraphy with a pen?
Yes, you can create what is known as faux calligraphy with a standard pen you’d find around the house. Faux calligraphy is calligraphy that has been created with any standard writing instrument such as a ballpoint pen or a marker pen.
If you’re stuck on knowing how to get started, there are a tonne of faux calligraphy tutorials out there to help you before you commit to getting pens that are specifically designed for and dedicated to calligraphy.
That being said, if you’re just starting out, it’s much easier to do calligraphy with the proper writing tools. However, you will want to make sure that you opt for a calligraphy pen that is suitable for beginners.